Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Chicken Curry with Coconut Rice

Chicken Curry

I've made this dish once before and really enjoyed it. The first time I made it I had all the correct ingredients (like a chunk of ginger, shredded coconut, and green thai curry paste). This last time I made it I skimped on ingredients and was surprised that it still turned out pretty darn good! I really like the nice creamy coconut flavor. It is definitely better with all the correct ingredients, but in a pinch my ghetto version worked well enough for me. Now I just need to get that great curry recipe from my friend's Mom...she makes a killer chicken curry (it's soooo spicy!).

Notes
  1. Like I mentioned, I didn't have real ginger so I used powdered ginger instead. Just add it in whenever (probably wanna add it after all the sauteing parts are done...).
  2. I didn't have Thai Green Curry paste, but I did have some of the ingredients that are used to make it. So I added a few ground coriander seeds, a dash of Fish Sauce (this one is my favorite brand), a dash of soy sauce, 1 tsp sugar, and 2 cloves of garlic.
  3. I didn't have coconut either so I just used regular old rice-cooker cooked rice. I do like the coconut version though.
  4. No peanuts! Yeah, I really murdered this recipe this time around, I know. It was still good though!
The Verdict

I like it - it's not a blow-you-away-it's-so-delicious recipe, but it's a good, pretty simple meal. Mr. C likes it well enough - he had seconds. Obviously I would make it again as this was my second time making it. Try to go for all the right ingredients if you can because it makes it that much tastier.

Here is the recipe which I found on Yumsugar:

Chicken Curry
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
  • 2 1/4 cups water
  • 1 tsp canola oil
  • salt
  • 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
  • 1 1/2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 3-by-1/2-inch strips (I precooked boned chicken thighs and pulled the meat off the bone for texture and variety)
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 14 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste (see my notes if you don't have this ingredient)
  • 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped basil leaves
  • 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
  • 3 scallions, white and light green parts only, cut into 2-inch lengths
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
  • avocado and mango, sliced for serving
Makes about 4-6 servings.

Directions
  1. In a saucepan, bring the rice, water, canola oil and a pinch of salt to a boil; cover. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, toast the coconut over moderately low heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
  3. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add 1 tablespoon of the ginger and cook over moderately high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
  4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet. Add the onion and the remaining 1 tablespoon of ginger; cook over moderate heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the coconut milk, stock and curry paste and bring to a boil, stirring. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes, until thickened.
  5. Add the chicken, 1/3 cup of the basil, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro and the scallions; simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. Transfer the rice to a bowl; sprinkle with the coconut. Transfer the chicken to another bowl. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons of basil, 1 tablespoon of cilantro and the peanuts. Serve the avocado and mango on the side.

Cottage Pie



No comments:

Post a Comment