Friday, March 13, 2009

Community Garden

So my Mom has a plot at the local community garden. I like to go over there every once in a while and see what's growing, and what's been picked, and what's dying. So we went over there the other day and checked out the different goodies that are growing at the moment. It was so full of life! There were eggplants, onions, green peppers, hot peppers, cabbages, squash, strawberries, green beans, peas, tomatoes, sunflowers, etc. And one of those sunflowers was huge! As big as my head, as you can see. It's really quite cool to have this garden in the middle of the Florida heat growing all these wonderful things. All the love and care that goes into it is nice to see.

We also saw the most monstrous caterpillar I have ever encountered. That sucker was 5 inches, at least. He was all soft and pudgy looking, but I wouldn't even think of touching it. I bet there are some places in the world he would be a delicacy though... They'd pluck him off his leaf and chomp him up. Eww. I try to be be culturally open-minded, but...eww. We did figure out what he was though (google is the best). He's a Manduca sexta, or a Tobacco Hornworm. They turn into a big brown moth after they pupate (which I don't think is a real word). One part creepy to three parts cute, but really cool to see.




No comments:

Post a Comment