Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pumpkin Cupcakes


Recipe number two! The pumpkin cupcake was very straight forward and easy to do. I topped it with my favorite hint-of-cream-cheese icing recipe which was a perfect match. It's nothing fancy, but very yummy.

Notes
  1. I've halved the original recipe here. The original makes enough for a double layer cake, but I didn't need that many cupcakes. So just double this for a cake!
The Verdict

Delicious! The frosting has just a little bit of cream cheese so the flavor isn't overwhelming. The cupcakes were moist and delicious. I loved them and Mr. C's co-workers ate all the leftover ones so I think they were a hit. I would make these again (they're right up there as a competitor to my favorite red velvet cake recipe).

I found the cupcake recipe at About.com and the frosting recipe is from (Visions of) Sugar Plum:

Ingredients
    Cupcakes
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree or cooked mashed pumpkin
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (I omitted these)
Frosting
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 1/2 tbsp all purpose flour
  • pinch salt
  • 6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Makes about 12 cupcakes.

Directions
  1. Turn oven to 350 F.

  2. Combine sugar, vegetable oil and eggs in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Sift dry ingredients into a separate bowl.

  3. Stir into oil mixture, beating well. Stir in pumpkin puree.

  4. Pour batter into a lined cupcake pan and bake at 350° for 20 minutes or so? I can't remember precisely how long it took, I just checked in on them every so often until they were done.

  5. Turn out onto racks to cool.

  6. To make the frosting whisk together milk, sugar, flour and salt in a medium sized saucepan; bring to a boil, over medium heat, whisking frequently. Continue to boil for 1-2 minutes, or until thickened. Cool in the refrigerator or freezer until completely chilled.

  7. In a large mixing bowl, using a mixer on medium speed (or just a mixing spoon like I did), beat together butter and cream cheese until creamy, about 1-2 minutes. Beat in vanilla extract and chilled milk mixture, until well combined and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.

  8. Spread frosting over cupcakes and enjoy!

Since I added a video in my last recipe I've decided to share a few more. This is unfortunately an April Fool's movie preview (so there won't really be a full length movie, booo) but it was still really cool to see Zelda made into a movie trailer!




No comments:

Post a Comment